Posts Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts      All Comments Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts     Cymraeg

Tuesday 15 October 2013

A Year On






Just over a year ago I was lucky enough to be offered a job with the Royal Commission on a one-year IfA & Heritage Lottery Fund Bursary Placement in Buildings Survey and Investigation. I started on 15th October last year and today, the 14th October 2013, means that I am a year on and that my placement has come to an end. The last year has really flown by (quite literally at times too) and has afforded me the opportunity to learn a lot about buildings survey and investigation, the Welsh historic environment and how the Commission provides an authoritative voice on interpreting and archiving knowledge gathered on these. It has also enabled me to develop within the role and demonstrate what I am capable of, it has been the break that I have needed to embark on a career within archaeology, something that I had struggled to achieve, and may not have without the IfA/HLF placement. Over the year I have travelled throughout Wales and even over it! I have investigated the cruck-framed hall houses of the boarders to gentry houses of Glamorgan, and the slate barges of the Dyfi estuary to the Ironworks at Brymbo. To say the least, it has been an eye opener, with a myriad of different historical sites and materials, which have helped further my passion and zeal for the historic environment that surrounds us. So, I would like to thank everyone at the Royal Commission for the last year and all they have done. I am now fortunate enough to spend a further six months here until March 2014.


To try and show what I have been up to over the last year, here are a few collages of my work, the sights I have seen and what I have been doing.

By Ross Cook

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on: Facebook Twitter Flickr
Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

www.rcahmw.gov.uk
Please comment and let us know your views or your news. Remember that what you write can be read by everyone. RCAHMW reserves the right not to publish offensive or inaccurate material.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails