|Ynys Enlli / Bardsey Island|
GTJ00234 NPRN 402783
The island of Bardsey, or Ynys Enlli, lies nearly two miles off the extreme west end of Llŷn. The total area is nearly 450 acres with a settlement of twelve to fifteen houses. The island was an important place of pilgrimage and monastic settlement throughout the middle ages. Apart from a ruined tower, little remains visible of the monastery. Between 1870 and 1875 the farms were rebuilt and are interesting examples of agricultural planning. The prominent lighthouse designed by Joseph Nelson was completed in 1821.
Related Bardsey Island blog link:
Bardsey Island & Its Remarkable History
Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this RRS button and subscribe!
Also find us on: